How to Choose a Touring Paddle Board - Touring SUP Reviews
Table of contents
1.What Board Sizes, Shapes and Features to Look For
2.What Size SUP Touring Board To Choose
5.Front bungee system
6.5 Best Touring paddle boards
SUP touring is a great way to explore a new place. It’ll give you a whole new perspective about a city.
Touring on a paddleboard is also a great way to exercise your body. It’s a pretty good full-body workout. Not to mention you get to enjoy the great views of the outdoors while you work out.
If the paddle board you are going to buy is mainly for touring and exercising, you might want to pick one that can satisfy all your needs at the same time. It should be able to provide you with the best experience when you are going on long distance tours and cover tasks like warm-ups or stretches.
What Board Sizes, Shapes and Features to Look For
- Touring paddle boards usually track well.
- Touring paddle boards usually have better glide performance.
- Touring paddle boards are fairly maneuverable if you know the trick.
- Touring paddle boards are typically longer than all-around boards, which gives you more room for storage or even passengers.
- Touring paddle boards are great for covering long distance.
What Size SUP Touring Board To Choose
A commonly accepted length for a touring board is 12’6, which is also commonly used for a race board. There are also touring boards at 11’6 long.
You can tell a touring stand up paddle board apart from a race board by its width. But there’s no set standard for how wide a touring board and a race board should be.
A board that’s 28’’ wide or less is usually considered to be a race board. And touring boards are typically at 30’’-32’’ wide. 32 inches is the ideal width for a touring board which balances glide performance with stability perfectly.
If you are going to be touring on flat water, then a board with a single center fin would be enough as it will have less drag.
Look for boards with a US fin box because it’s the most common type of fin box and compatible with various kinds of fins. You will also be able to adjust the position of the fin in the fin box to tune the performance of the board.
Place the fin at the back of the fin box will help make the board track better. Place the fin further forward at the front of the fin box will make the board easier to turn. For leisure paddling, you can put the fin at the center to balance between tracking, stability and maneuverability.
Tracking is important in touring. If your board tracks well, you won’t have to correct your course all the time. If you want to improve the tracking of your board, try getting a taller fin.
There are also touring boards with a 3-fin setup. The two side fins will help make the board more maneuverable. In certain paddling conditions like when you are paddling on shallow or choppy water or on a windy day, you might need more control of your board and the two side fins will contribute to the maneuverability and tracking of the board.
A smooth deck pad is more comfortable to stand on, but it’s not for all paddling conditions. It’s more suited to casual touring where comfort is more important than traction. You might need more traction under certain circumstances like when you paddle on shallow or choppy water, and a diamond groove deck pad would be more suitable.
Front bungee system
Most boards would feature a bungee system at the front of the board, and it’s an important feature as it would allow you to bring along some necessary stuff like your water bottle.
If you are going to be doing other things like camping in the middle of your trip, you might need to take other stuff with you like food or first aid supplies and a reliable front bungee tie down system would make it easy for you to bring along the things you need.
5 Best touring paddle boards
(1)Goosehill sailor touring paddle boards
Touring SUP Features
- Excellent glide is achieved by using a long body and a pointed nose. It makes your strokes more efficient and saves your energy.
- At 32''/31'' wide, Sailor Touring Inflatable Paddle Board provides enough stability for even beginners to enjoy paddleboarding fun without falling in.
- The long deckpad provides excellent grip and is comfortable to sit, stand and even do yoga on.
- SUP Construction: The ultra-strong double-layer drop-stitch fabric gives the board incredible stiffness. At 31/32 inches wide, the board is very stable and has high capacity, perfect for cruising with multiple passengers.
- Board Length: The 11’6/12’6 length and smooth outline give the board excellent glide, making the board the perfect choice for long-distance cruising for paddlers of all skill-levels and ages.
- Cargo Space: Large cargo space at the front of the board that allows you to bring as much gear as you want. The corrusion-resistant bungee cord is able to hold your belongings securely.
- SUP Sail Base: Built-in sail base that allows you to install a sail to the board and turn it into a sailboat.
- SUP Handle: The thick cotton-filled handle is strong and comfortable to hold. Makes carrying the board much easier.
- D-rings: 316 stainless steel D-rings are corrosion-resistant and durable.
- SUP Rail: Two layers of strong PVC material welded to the rail of the board to enhance the board’s stiffness and ensure it’s airtight.
- Valve: The valve is made of corrosion-resistant PVC material, durable and keeps the board air-tight at all times.
- SUP Fin: US Fin box allows you to tune the performance of the board by changing the position of the fin. And it’s compatible with most of the thire-party SUP fins on the market.
(2)THURSO SURF Expedition Touring Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board SUP 11'6
|Item Package Dimensions L x W x H||35.1 x 17.6 x 14.5 inches|
|Package Weight||21.23 Kilograms|
|Brand Name||THURSO SURF|
|Warranty Description||2 Year|
|Model Name||Expedition Touring SUP|
|Style||12 ft 6|
|Included Components||US Touring Fin, SUP Board, Dual Chamber Pump, Carbon Hybrid Paddle, Roller Backpack, 10 ft Coiled Leash|
|Sport Type||SUP Paddling|
(3)NIXY Monterey Inflatable Stand Up Paddle Board
|Item Package Dimensions L x W x H||37.5 x 20 x 12 inches|
|Package Weight||20.93 Kilograms|
|Item Weight||25 Pounds|
|Sport Type||SUP Paddling|
(4)Bluefin SUP Stand Up Inflatable Paddle Board | 14' Sprint Model
|Item Package Dimensions L x W x H||33.74 x 22.13 x 8.35 inches|
|Package Weight||17.66 Kilograms|
|Brand Name||Bluefin SUP|
|Warranty Description||Manufacturer's Warranty Description|
|Model Name||Sprint 14'|
|Included Components||Paddle board|
(5)Hurley PhantomTour 10' 6" Stand Up Paddle Board
|Item Package Dimensions L x W x H||35.2 x 16.1 x 10.8 inches|
|Package Weight||16.42 Kilograms|
|Manufacturer||Electric EEL, Inc.|
|Sport Type||SUP Paddling, Fishing, Surfing|
Leave a comment