Paddle Board Fishing - Things Anglers Must Know
Table of contents1. What is SUP fishing2. Can you fish on paddle boards3. What is the benefits of paddle board fishing4. How do you fish on a paddle board5. Paddle Board vs Kayak: Which is Better for Fishing6. Essential gear list7. Top 5 Best Fishing SUPs for 2022
Nowadays paddle board fishing has become a trend. When see others leisurely in the paddle board fishing, are you eager to try but afraid of failure? Don’t worry, now we will tell you what is most important to look for to have a successful first SUP Fishing trip. Here are the questions that we will answer.
Suffered from the epidemic for a long time, people feel a more yearning to nature. At this period, SUP have became more and more popular in recent years.Then, paddle board fishing appear and is loved by more and more people. Many people it is a great way to calm down and think about life. In addition, paddle board fishing have many advantages to our health.
Can you fishing on paddle boards
Yes, of course you can fish on a paddle board. But there are some important things to keep in mind before SUP fishing.
Choosing a SUP expressly designed for fishing or a board that is suitable for fishing. Generally speaking, the wider the board is, the more stable it will be in the water. Therefore, for beginners, it is better to purchase a wider board.
Paddle boards are found in a variety of widths, the most common width paddle boards are from around 26 inches to 36 inches. Consider the stability , 36 inches width will be the best size for paddle board fishing
Choosing the right place to fishing is also very important. The flat water is considered to the best.
What is the benefits of paddle board fishing
- Lightweight and easy to transport
The paddle boards, especially inflatable paddle boards, are very lightweight and easy to transport. When you're done fishing, deflate and pack it up and take it anywhere you want to go.
- Reaching fishing spots quickly and easily
With a paddleboard, anglers can quickly and easily reach the spot where the fish are. Many fish prefer to stay in quiet and uncrowded areas, and paddleboards can accommodate you with this.
- Super-quiet and stealthy
Unlike noisy boats, a stand-up paddleboard is very light and virtually silent as it glides across the water. This means it will reduce the likelihood of fish swimming away from you, making it easier for you to catch your prey by surprise
- Seeing the fish under the water more clearly
A paddleboard provides a more vantage point to see the fish in the water. Generally people fish from a paddleboard while standing, so you can see the creatures in the water around you more clearly from the paddleboard.
- Full body workout
Paddle boarding is a full body sport that can be effective in exercising all parts of the body. When to change locations to fish, you need to reach the destination by paddle boarding.
you may also like> SUP Skills and Techniques> Types of SUP boards> How to Turn Your Inflatable SUP Board Into A Kayak> What to Look For in a High Performance Inflatable SUP Board> Paddle Board Fins - All You Need to Know> What It Is and How It Affects Your SUP Experience> Where You Can Go Paddle Boarding in the UK> Paddle Board Accessories - Most Frequently Asked Questions> How to Set Up Your Paddle Board and Paddle
Become our partner to earn your lifetime commission with two simple steps.Learn more
All-Around Inflatable Paddle Board | Goosehill Sailor SUP
How do you fish on a paddle board
Once you got your gear ready and you’re on the lake, there isn’t too much difference between traditional fishing and SUP fishing. However, we do have some tips that should help you have a more enjoyable time, and even help you reel in the big one:
- Prioritize learning how to stabilize yourself on an SUP. You might be excited to get out there and fish, but you won’t catch much if you fall over every time you try to take your rod out. Practice on a mat at home or in a safe water setting the gestures and moves you’ll need to make while you’re fishing. Wading is an option in shallow waters, but you’ll need to be able to stay on your board and reel once you’re in deeper zones.
- Always make sure your equipment is tightly secured before you throw your first cast of the day. Even the most experienced SUPers will topple over from time to time. Most SUPs come with a bungee cord cargo area, and some even come with mounts to install your fishing rack. It doesn’t hurt to take a few seconds to check that everything is securely locked down before throwing your first cast of the day.
- Remember to check your local fishing laws.SUP fishing is easier for many fishers because they do not have to worry about the licensing that comes with operating a boat. However, even if you’re on an SUP, your local fishing laws will still apply to you. Always read up on what you’re allowed to do, and make sure to purchase tags and have them on you or your SUP when you go out fishing.
- Lastly, remember to enjoy yourself and just have fun! One of the top reasons many fishers switch over from boats and kayaks to SUPs is because they’ve found SUPs makes it easier to enjoy their natural environment. A SUP is less disruptive than a large and noisy boat, and nowhere near as restrictive as the typical kayak. If you’re looking to have a good time, and want to try a new way of fishing, then SUP fishing may be the perfect sport for you!
Paddle board vs kayak: which is better for fishing
When it comes to which of the two is better, it's actually really hard to tell. Because everyone's needs are not the same. But what is certain is that they have a few differences. Everyone can choose according to their needs.
When considering the advantages, there are many factors to consider. First of all, kayak transportation is very difficult. If you have only a small car for transportation, it is impossible to finish transporting kayaks. Paddleboards, especially inflatable paddleboards, on the other hand, are much lighter in weight and more portable. You just need to deflate and roll it up and pack it away.
When actually fishing, kayaks can only be fished standing up. Although this is a very good posture for fishing, but for a long time it will be very tired and want to sit down to rest. And the paddle board offers this possibility. The paddle board has a cooler, which can be used to store things, and can also be used as a seat.
Paddleboarding and kayaking are about the same speed. However, paddle boards are more flexible and easier to steer than kayaks. Also, the paddleboard moves much less loudly than a kayak, meaning you can approach the fish quietly.
Essential gear list
If you still don't know what to bring, here's a list for you
Since it is paddle board fishing, of course, there is no shortage of paddle boards.
- Fishing tools
There are many tools for fishing, including fishing pole, rod holder, tackle, anchor, fish bait, ankle leash, bucket, net and etc
Safety is really the most important thing, no matter where you go, make sure you are safe.
Can be used as a seat when resting
- Sun protection
Protect your eyes and see clearly around you even in the sunlight.
Top 5 best fishing SUPs for 2022
Since a paddleboard that is suitable for fishing has characteristics that are different from other paddleboards, these characteristics should be met when looking for the best fishing board.
It is better to choose a more stable paddle board. The wider the board the more stable it will be, and also, choose a longer board that can hold more stuff. Also pick the paddle board that has a higher tolerance. This should be measured according to your weight and the weight of your fishing to avoid the paddle board buoyancy.
There are top 6 SUP boards for 2022. All of them include the criteria.
- Goosehill Sailor All-Around 2022 Inflatable Paddle Board
- Blackfin Model XL Fishing Paddle Board
- Sea Eagle FishSUP 126
- South Bay Hippocamp Fishing Paddle Board
- Bote Rackham Aero Full Trax Fishing Paddle Board
Because of its length, this paper does not analyze it specifically. If you want to know more, please click on the corresponding product name.